Cooking time: 15-20mins.
Yields: 40 idlis.
- Cream of rice/idli rawa-4 cups
- Split husked black gram/Mash ki dal/Urad dal-2cups
- Salt to taste.
- Wash and soak separately the idli rawa and urad dal for 5 hrs.
- Drain the water from the urad dal and with little water grind it in to smooth batter.
- Drain the water from the idli rawa and mix in the ground urad dal paste.Mix well,cover and leave it overnight or 8-10 hrs for fermenting.A good fermented and frothy batter will give soft and spongy idlis.
- In the morning before steaming add salt to the batter.
- Put water in the Idli cooker and let it get hot.
- In hot summers the batter gets fermented easily in cold weathers you may add 2tsp of curd to the batter before fermenting or soak along with the Urad dal 1tsp of Fenugreek seeds/methi seeds and then grind, this will help in fermentation.
- Grease the mould with oil when steaming,the idlis will come out easier.
- Always let the mould cool down after steaming then remove the idlis.
VARIATIONS WITH THE IDLI BATTER:
IDLI FRY :
Cut the leftover idlis in long pieces ,put them in a paper towel and keep it in the fridge overnight,it will become dry and wont absorb much oil while frying.when u want to serve them just heat the oil and fry the pieces till golden brown,serve hot.
DOSA WITH THE IDLI BATTER:Add little water to make the idli batter little spreadable,And then take a ladle full batter and spread it on a hot griddle.You will get nice crisp dosas.Serve them with chutney or sambhar.
UTTAPAM WITH THE IDLLI BATTER:
Add chopped onions,corriander leaves and green chillies and all purpose flour/maida(1tbsp of maida to 1 cup of idli batter)to the idli batter and you can make soft spongy uttapas with this idli batter.Take a ladle full of this mixture and put it on the hot griddle,dont spread much just make a nice circle.Serve hot.